Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

In california a unit I want to rent is a single family home

Customer Question
on a piece of property...
In california a unit I want to rent is a single family home on a piece of property with 4 single family homes built on it. the are two water meters each serving two homes shared. The Water usage is shared between two homes. They are monitored by a company called AUM who somehow divies up the cost of the water between each tenant. is this legal in cases where different families have to share water, shouldn't the landlord have to pay for the water usage.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/5/2015
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Does the lease contain any provision regarding utilities, specifically water charges?
Thank you.
i have not actually seen the lease yet, this is just what i am hearing from the management
If the lease provides for the billing or monitoring through AUM then it is permissible. If the lease does not address the issue then it is the landlord's responsibility to provide the water.
thanks
In other words, it can be agreed in the lease how the water will be charged.
You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Loren, Lawyer