How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental house in Illinois. The tenants lease has expired.

Customer Question

I have a rental house in Illinois. The tenants lease has expired. The tenant has not signed a new lease and has not moved out. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
As long as they are still paying rent they are going to be considered "holdover tenants" (also known as "tenants at sufferance") and will continue with the same lease terms as before, except instead of having a fixed term, they will be renting "month to month." If you want them to leave, give them a 30 day notice of termination. If they fail to vacate after 30 days, you can then file an unlawful detainer action against them. (They still owe rent for this 30 days, and if they do not pay, you can file a 3 day notice to "pay or quit" and file an unlawful detainer notice at the end of 3 days if they do not pay).

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions