Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is the Apartment complex I live in in Bergen County NJ allowed…

Customer Question
Is the Apartment complex I...
Is the Apartment complex I live in in Bergen County NJ allowed to make me carry renters insurance and list them as an interested party on the policy. Also can they deny me lease renewal if I choose not to get insurance
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/5/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
A landlord cannot require a tenant to get renter's insurance in the middle of the lease period, unless the original lease provided for it. They unfortunately CAN have renter's insurance as a requirement of a new or renewed lease, because they're allowed to choose not to renew a lease for any reason.
The only exception would be if you're in one of the parts of Bergen County that has rent controls. If your town says that a landlord needs just cause to evict a tenant, they'd need a permitted reason not to renew your lease. It's unlikely that failure to get renter's insurance would be considered just cause (but check with your city).
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.