CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

My grandson moved into a room at a friends house The Mother

Customer Question

My grandson moved into a room at a friends house The Mother is a mean person so he moved out. no lease no agreement. She wants him tp pay 300 for June and refuses to give him his belongings including some furniture. What rights do we have
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
What state are you in (she cannot do this - your grandson can sue her for damages for wrongfully holding his property, she cannot claim rent for the time he was not there, but it likely is not going to be worth his time to go to court - see my note on "mediation" below - probably his best remedy here).Mediation: Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.