Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Last sept 2014 I missed my rent payment due to some personal

Customer Question

Last sept 2014 I missed my rent payment due to some personal issues with caused late fees to start incurring from my land lord but have paid at least my rent and always several hundred more per month ( rent 950.00 in cash only) I just kept getting further behind. I could never get the landlord to give me an amount owed. When I asked for all my receipts of back payment and she refused to give them to me and is now giving me notice to vacate (20 days) yet still won't give me receipts and it says I owe 5700.00 which is the full amount for jan till June. I also paid huge deposits cause she claimed my last apt said I was evicted, which I wasn't, and it doesn't say that I was on my credit report but I was desperate because she was willing to let my German Shepard move in too. So I just paid it. Not to mention she charges for background checks that she doesn't do. I know this because the guy upstairs is a felon yet she aloud him to move in. I've been here 3 + years in that time I had a roommate move in to help with rent and I was honest with her about it and she raised my rent 75.00 per person moving in because all of the sudden she claimed rent charges were determined by how many people lived here and she also charged for a background check and I know she didn't do one because my roommate was a felon for embezzlement yet after 3 days my landlord claimed it all came back fine. Non of this was in our lease and on 3 separate occasions my husband has requested them and copy's of our background check not including the request for them on the day we did the paperwork signing. She said she normally she doesn't give those out and never has. Do I have a leg to stand on here? Please help
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, in what state are you renting? Please advise.