How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 57725
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the event of a fire in my apartment, can the landlord

Customer Question

In the event of a fire in my apartment, can the landlord enter without notice? Also what is the standard on securing your belongings before repairs are made?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
In the event of an emergency such as a fire, yes.
Landlord has to take reasonable steps to secure belongings including ensuring any repair work being done is under supervision and tenant is duly notified of the situation promptly so can return to personally supervise. Landlord should also screen who enters and leave premises and take reasonable steps to ensure nothing is stolen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay so the fire was on a Friday, I was told contractors would come on Monday. While checking the mail Sat, I witnessed the landlord enter and later found out that she had one of the room doors kicked open where nothing was done. I returned home to find my things pushed to the center of living room and covered in paint. Soot residue was painted over or neglected, floors weren't touched, etc. What are the rule in these situations?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
You should get compensated in rent credit and compensation for any damages sustained to personal property.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would you suggest be my first course of action? Should I attempt to communicate with the property management?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Try to work out a settlement reserving and leveraging other options. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.