Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Booked a vacation rental and then cancelled it the next day.

Customer Question
The owner wants to charge...
Booked a vacation rental and then cancelled it the next day. The owner wants to charge me the full rental amount for cancelling. Isn't there a 72hr contract reversal time?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/3/2015
Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 3 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney
Hello, Title 11 PA Code § 111.12 provides a 3-day cooling off period for door-to-door sales. Real estate rentals and/or short-term vacation rentals do not qualify under the law. However, many (perhaps most/all) vacation rentals, such as those found on certain well-known internet websites are illegal, because the vacation rental of a residential property is not properly zoned, If this happens to be your circumstance, then your contract with the property owner or management is void as illegal, which means that the landlord/property manager must refund your money, or you can sue. You can also complain to the city or county code enforcement department. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!
The rental is through trip advisor and is in a residential neighborhood. I am in email contact with the owner. What should I say to her?
Well, that's a difficult question. If you threaten to sue, unless you receive a refund, you're within your rights. If you threaten to contact code enforcement, unless you receive a refund, then that's criminal extortion/blackmail. You can tell the owner that you believe that the rental may be in violation of local zoning ordinances, and that you would like to be able to resolve this issue amicably without resort to legal action. That's probably as close to the "line" as you can get. Especially, as you don't actually know what the zoning ordinance permits or prohibits. I can try to research that issue for you, but I would have to charge you for my research time. If that's of interest to you, please let me know, and I can send you an additional services offer. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!