Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

I have a tenant with a month to month lease that he signed

Customer Question

I have a tenant with a month to month lease that he signed in April 2015. May's rent was paid. One week into May I informed him he needed to vacate by first week in June. (30 days later). A demand was made that I needed to provide him through the end of June. I did that and reiterated numerous times that June rent would be due the 1st and late the 3rd (per original lease). No rent yet despite several communications regarding it being due June 1. Advice please? Today is June 3rd. His attorney stated back in May that he would vacate on or before June 30th. but to me, that didn't mean no rent would be due for June.
thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I am sorry that you are in this situation. At this point you can send notice that rent is late, and give him notice to vacate for non-payment. Please let me know where you are located so I can look up the codes for the amount of time the tenant would be entitled to receive (it is usually between 3 and 7 days, but is state specific). Then, if still hasn't paid by that deadline, you can begin the eviction process and take him to court at his expense.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.