Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My Daughter signed a lease with a Roommate and the Roommate's…

Customer Question
My Daughter signed a lease...
My Daughter signed a lease with a Roommate and the Roommate's parent's Co-Signed for both of them. My Daughter now wants...needs out of the lease because the Roommate and Roommates Boyfriend both tried to commit suicide and my daughter wants no part of this. She has police report. Has notified the parent's and leasing agent, but they are holding her accountable for the lease. Is there anything she can do to not be held financially responsible.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/2/2015
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Hello, she may seek to sublet. She may seek to cancel lease based on landlord failure to provide habitable premises/quiet enjoyment of the lease. Consider having a lawyer reach out locally to negotiate such a release as landlord wont want risk or lawsuit relating to failure to provide quiet enjoyment and habitable premises. martindale.com and findlaw.com are good options.