How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a woman who has been renting a room in my home

Customer Question

I have a woman who has been renting a room in my home since February. I stated clearly, though did not write up a lease, that the room was only available til mid may due to the fact that I rent out the room as nightly/weekly rental for the summer. I had agreed to her staying here for the off season. She has not paid rent for two months. She is going through hard times. I have suggested some things she can do to work off some rent.
I like her and am sad for her situation. I offered till the end of may since there was a cancelation in bookings. She still does not have a place to stay and I am concerned that I may need to do something to legally get her out. How shall I proceed?
I was looking at some eviction notices, and I amm will to give her more time to pay the rent....but I am wanting her out as soon as possible.
Thank you for your help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately to remove her from the property, the way to do this is through an eviction (unlawful detainer/forcible entry and detainer action) where you give her a notice to vacate, then (if she doesn't leave) file the formal court action against her.It is a summary proceeding, so it goes very fast by legal standards, but it still takes time (most cases take between 4-8 weeks from the time of filing until a forcible eviction by the sheriff or constable, assuming that you follow all of the procedures - they can go faster if the tenant fails to appear, usually about half the time).If you can talk her into leaving sooner (it is in her best interest to leave before you have to file as an unlawful detainer filed against her will make it more difficult for her to get a new rental unit), it would be beneficial, but if you need her out soon, I wouldn't recommend wasting any time.Unfortunately there isn't any shortcut here (even though she is a boarder without a lease, she is still entitled to these protections).If you are uncertain about the court process, do consider hiring an attorney to represent you - most landlord/tenant attorneys are relatively inexpensive, and if you think she is likely to appear and defend the action, having an attorney on board early in the process is going to pay off by reducing overall costs and saving you time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a form I can use?
And FYI when I submitted my payment information I received an error report message on my computer, and continued to each time I tried to access the site again. I checked and found out that my card had been charged both the deposit and the fee, which was disconcerting since I had not been able to access the information promised. When I received the email I was able to access the information with out the error report.
Happy with your services rendered, not the error experience.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
What state is your home located in (sometimes I can locate free forms for you)?
Regarding your account, please contact our customer service at as we do not have account information on our side as experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Washington State
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't have any free forms for Washington state, but the King County law library has a very helpful guide and sells a packet for landlords (you) for a small fee.
You can also visit your local law library or court self help center for similar resources.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.
Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.
Thank you again, and again I wish you the best

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions