Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If my tenant chooses to have an agent (in this case a

Customer Question
Hello! If my tenant chooses...
Hello! If my tenant chooses to have an agent (in this case a real estate agent) represent his interests, manages his concerns regarding the property, and speak for him; do I have an obligation or requirement to work with this agent? He was brought on long
after the lease was negotiated and executed.This agent is rude, not in touch with the lease specifics, a dis-service and nowhere mentioned in our lease. I have tried working with this person to no avail and expressed these concern to my tenant who still says
I must work with this agent alone. I believe my obligation is to my tenant and he to me, from the lease. Please define one party's obligation to another's agent. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/29/2015
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 2 years ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
""If my tenant chooses to have an agent (in this case a real estate agent) represent his interests, manages his concerns regarding the property, and speak for him; do I have an obligation or requirement to work with this agent?""
.
.
No, your contractual relationship is with the tenant, not the agent, so you have no legal duty to acknowledge the agent. Even if the agent has a power of attorney, you can still ignore them and insist on direct communication with the tenant regarding any issues.
.
With that said, I would suggest that if you want to cut out the agent, you use certified mail or another easily documented method of communication like texts or emails so that you have a "papertrail" of any communications and proof that you have notified them regarding any issues.
.
.
thanks
Thank you, ***** ***** as much and have already done as you suggesting regarding documentation. I appreciate your rapid response and I would like to pursue further details about this case with you at a later time, if you don't mind. Cheers, Michael
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time.. As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...
.
It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me personally by putting “For Barrister” in the question if you need help with anything in the future and I will do everything I can to help or get you to someone who can.
.
.
thanks
This situation, like most im sure, is rather complicated but I have created organized notes. It involves a new city ordinance regulating sober living homes (the possession of the license of which is very valuable to a legitimate business model) and of course my lease. I am unfamiliar with JustAnswer's process in sending these docs along to you, and the cost for more specific advice based on them.
In short, my tenant who is a psychiatrist/ social worker and his physician wife, leased my property in their names as residents only (with no provision for operating a business), apparently to house patients/ clients for their behavioral health clinic. In the meanwhile the city passed an ordinance finally regulating the proliferation of profitable sober living homes, with the key element of reasonable spacing of these homes throughout the city on a first-come/ served basis. Landlord/ Property Owner's permission for operating such a home is required for the permit. Based on my desire to operate one of these homes myself at the lease term expiration, advice, no provision in the ordinance for a current landlord as myself and recognition by the city as they took my application that my house was leased currently, I applied and was granted permit #001 from the city. I did not feel I needed to inform my tenant of my actions regarding my property. On the last day of the filing period, my tenant's agent filed their own application, sans the required affidavit from the landlord, thereby notifying the city of their current unlawful operations at the property and of a conflict. The city of course cannot issue two permits for the same address, and has given me 30 days to take back control of my property so I can be issued the permit, or negotiate something with my tenant: like he allowing me to take over his operation (on the face) until term expiration, him immediately breaking the lease, etc or my license will be put back into circulation which surely would be permanently lost to me. In addition, fines and legal action will shortly begin to be imposed onto the tenant and me as landlord for such an unlawful operation and both of our credibilities in filing for this permit in the future would be jeopardized.
In meeting with him yesterday, despite stipulations that we act in goodfaith and in a spirit of cooperation to solve the crisis and that the aforementioned agent not be a party, this well-accredited doctor was hostile and acted greviously unethically. He not only demanded and badgered me that I absolutely recognize his agent and allow in the meeting, but deceptively got me to accept into this meeting his "HR Director" to explain to me how this agent was legitimately in his employ! Not until nearly the end of her traumatizing me even further on my DUTY to accept this agent (with still no discussion of the issue at hand with the city) and how my protests of this indicated my refusal to cooperate, did she reveal herself to be HIS ATTORNEY!! She refused to identify herself further. The meeting ended there with them demanding that 2 weeks from now was the earliest she would be able to study the ordinance and present viable options. I was so traumatized that I forgot about our 30 day deadline from the city. This meeting was agreed to be he and I and it ended up being 4 of them and me.
I somehow feel that his demand that this and future meetings be held only on his campus means that I was secretly recorded or otherwise studied for psychological weakness to their advantage, but I certainly feel I was traumatized and manipulated by a renown expert trained and currently practices the healing from such psychological abuse. Despite my constant pleas throughout the meeting that I came in goodwill and spirit of cooperation to resolve the crisis and in the best interest of his residents currently housed there, he ONLY continued to threaten to sue me for damaging his business model by denying him access to a permit (for which I would have to agree as landlord anyway).
I believe I was victimized on many levels, while still facing an unresolved crisis with the city and my lease. This is insane.
I believe the attorney (if in actuality), this psychiatrist/ social worker and his physician wife are held to higher, accountable standards of behaviour and ethics not only to their clients or patients, but to their professions and public. Not only by their licensing agencies, but also by their esteemed private organizations from which they hold valuable accreditations. Please help me Barrister
Hello Barrister, my page indicates that you referred my question onward?
May I ask why? thanks
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
This is a different professional. Do you still require assistance at this time?
yes please
I will need to opt out. Please take care.
im sorry i dont understand your valuing system, can you explain it please?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Discussion by Email. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney