Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can I avoid eviction by suing my landlord for

Customer Question
discrimination, whin in true happened?...
Can I avoid eviction by suing my landlord for discrimination, whin in true happened?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Landlord wants me out after I complained about noises coming from the second floor.
They rather get rid of me that the offender who is a red neck Anglo Saxon
5/23/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Discrimination is a valid defense against an eviction suit. You can assert this as part of your answer to the unlawful detainer or forcible entry and detainer complaint.If you can show that the landlord is evicting you in violation of the Fair Housing Act (discrimination against a "protected class" - religion, gender, race, etc.) then you can not only prevent the eviction, but also seek damages.I would recommend hiring a lawyer for this type of suit, the lawyer should be able to provide you with legal services on a "contingency basis" (advancing legal services in exchange for a portion of the recovery) as there can be substantial damages attached to these violations depending on the specific circumstances of your case.You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).