Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

This is a new situation. I am renting a property in the California…

Customer Question
This is a new situation...
This is a new situation. I am renting a property in the California wine country. I have been here for two years. Based on our past conversation you advised me that without a lease I could not force them to allow us to stay for the agreed time. New situation. Within the past 5 years they did live on the property for 2 of those 5. Their tax people are saying that they have to sell the property within a three year period withing the five to avoid capital gains. The end of 2015 wil be the end of the third year which would be us renting three years and them living in it for 2. Why is there a time limit for them to sell the property within the 3 years to avoid capital gains?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/23/2015
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
insearchoftheanswer
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.
The time period is because of Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code. This section allows a seller to exclude up to $250,000 of the gain from a sale of a principal residence ($500,000 if married). But, to qualify as a principal residence, the seller must have used it as a principal residence for at least 2 years of the 5 years preceding the sale. So, once you've rented for more than 3 years, they would not be able to qualify for this exclusion.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!