How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have lived in our home 25 years. A church

Customer Question

We have lived in our home for approximately 25 years. A church moved in nextdoor and it has gotten to the point of having to sell our home. I get up for work very early and there is no way to get any sleep. There are people here at 6:00am and they are here til 11:00pm almost every day. Sometimes they arrive alittle later. With the full days of sunshine they have been here every day. They have very loud vehicles and slam the vehicle doors. Many have car alarms that go off. The children are running and screaming until at least 10pm. It is causing problems in our marriage, problems at work and I believe some health problems due to lack of sleep. We have talked to them and we are getting no response. We need some help. Thank you, Sh***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry to learn of this situation.You have 2 possible options (unfortunately both require a little bit of effort).First, check your local noise ordinances, the early and late hours may place the church in violation of your city or town's noise ordinance and the city should enforce this.Second, you can try suing the church for a "private nuisance" - this would be done in civil court. (See:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We've tried the noise laws and are getting nowhere, we can't do anything in court due to lack of funds.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
My next best advice would be to try small claims court (see:, it is designed to permit citizens access to court without the need for attorneys, but absent court action there is no way to enforce your rights.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the only other thing is that we have dogs and we are alittle scared of these people. We have had confrontations and we're scared they will kill our dogs or do something to our home. I know that nothing can probably be done til after the fact, when it's too late.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You may need to get a restraining order, but unfortunately with this number of people it is going to be hard to do this effectively (you would need to identify a specific threat by a specific individual or group of people).You may want to consult with a local attorney to come up with a strategy to move forward (maybe not hire them, but at least talk about mechanisms to deal with the neighbor and get some guidance on how best to move forward "pro per" (without an attorney)).