LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

On March 15 we moved out of a house we rented years.

Customer Question

On March 15 we moved out of a house we rented for 17 years. While Minnesota has a very specific law regarding deposits that allows three weeks to return deposit or give reason, our landlord is refusing to return our deposit plus interest.
She contends that she is waiting for us to clean-out the garage. The garage has items that were in the garage 17 years ago and leftover construction supplies for on-site projects done for the landlord.
Until May 5 we were storing a table in the garage. The landlord had given permission to store the table without charge.
We paid rent through March 15, finished cleaning March 17. We slept at the house last on March 1.
When did our tenancy end?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
As you had permission to store the table in the garage, that is a non-issue. And as you don;;t claim ownership of the construction supplies, but insist they are the property of the owner or preexisted your arrival to the home, those are not an issue either.
Given that you last stayed at the home March first, and finished cleaning on the 17th and presuming that you turned over your keys to the landlord, or at least tried to do so at that point in time (following the cleaning), then your tenancy ended on March 18, 2015.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug