How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rent in a mobile home park, buying my mobile. Got behind

Customer Question

I rent in a mobile home park, buying my mobile. Got behind in space rent, April and May. Went to pay April plus a late fee Sunday and was told pay April and May, we wont accept April only. Mon I had a 3/60 notice on my door.
My question is if I can't pay in the 3 day period, and I have to move, will there be legal proceedings the park can file that require me to pay during that 60 day period? I would also have to foreclose on my trailer, can the park benefit in any way? Is that why they are not accepting my rent and working with me?
Anita R
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
A three day pay or quit notice merely allows you to stay if you can pay thee back rent owed. If you do not pay it and also do not relocate for 60 days, when the landlord sued for the eviction, they will be able to seek all rent owed for any time that you remain after the 3 days has passed as well as for all rent owed from before.
The 60 days that you are legally given to remove the mobile home is not deemed to be free of rent. I am sorry. After the 60 days the landlord will typically file an unlawful detainer action and seek an eviction order. The order will also include a money judgment against you for all the unpaid rent and legal expenses of instituting the lawsuit.
If you foreclose on your mobile home, the park may purchase the mobile unit from the lender---but aside from that, the park would not benefit from the repossession.
They are not accepting the partial rent because to do so would require them to begin the process all over again. They are legally entitle to demand all the back rent owed or demand that you vacate the park within 60 days.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,