How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask barristerinky Your Own Question
barristerinky, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37796
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
barristerinky is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord locked me out of the home I am renting from him.

Customer Question

My landlord locked me out of the home I am renting from him. I am staying in a hotel. I signed a year lease that was signed may 8th. He has 3800 and will not even refund my money. Is this legal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If you have a lease with the landlord, then he can't legally lock you out of the property or he has conducted an illegal eviction and this would give you grounds to sue him for damages as well as to be put back in possession of the property.
A landlord can't use "self help" eviction methods and has to go through a formal eviction through the courts to get an order of eviction and a writ of possession that the sheriff would execute to give the landlord back legal possession of the property.
So you could sue him in small claims court under a breach of contract claim for any damages you have incurred, such as hotel bills and any other related expenses due to his illegal actions.