barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My land lord was renting to me under a fraudulent lease is

Customer Question

my land lord was renting to me under a fraudulent lease is there anything I can do to get my money back?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Can you explain what you mean by a "fraudulent lease"?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

apparently the dwelling is a habitat for humanity home and the "landlord" was not suppose to rent the dwelling.

Ok, if the landlord gets in trouble with Habitat for violating some type of restrictive clause or agreement they had with them about renting, that is something that would be between the owner and Habitat. But if you were living there and using the property in return for your lease payments, then it is unlikely that a judge would award you your rent back because this would be considered "unjust enrichment" if you were essentially allowed to live there for free.
.
Now whether Habitat would take legal action to penalize the owner for violating the agreement, I can't say.
.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.
.
thanks