How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56537
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a tenant in our building who has not paid rent for

Customer Question

We have a tenant in our building who has not paid rent for 2 months. How do we evict her? She is a single woman.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, is this residential? in what state?
Have you considered having a lawyer locally expedite it and recover fees/costs?
I can suggest a directory for that. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is New York State.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The house is fore sale.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
I am in NY as well. Since your tenants are in default for nonpayment, you will then need to give them a 3-Day Notice to Quit...meaning they must vacate the premises within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if they still have not left, you must file a petition in small claims court (which in NY is the Housing Court) for an eviction order. You can easily do this yourself and do not need an attorney for this.
Once that is granted...which is a simple can have the sheriff evict them. You may then file a claim against them for all unpaid rent and damages not covered by the security deposit.
Once you get your judgment, you can attach their assets, including bank accounts, and garnish their wages, to collect that judgment. Unfortunately, you must go through the formal process and what you cannot legally do is shut off the utilities, change the locks, or avail yourself of any other means of "self-help" eviction.
A landlord tenant lawyer can expedite the eviction too and recover legal fees, for which is a great resource.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions