Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Tenant #A pays utilities Unit A and Unit (Studio

Customer Question

Tenant #A pays utilities for both Unit A and Unit B (Studio Mine) . On the 23rd March tenant A calls landlord to inform him utilities will be shut off on the 24th, so I won't be without them. MY son also calls the manager of apartment to inform her the same,and that if they are shut off and not turned back on the same day he is taking me to a hotel nearby and it will come off my rent due to his not taking the time to make sure I have utilities. This is not the first time this has happened and the landlord did nothing the first time. That tenant shut the power off while he went to work and would do that every day if I didn't call landlord and tell him what they said. Not fair what tenants did or the landlord doing nothing the first time. DO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE OFF THE $100.00 FOR HOTEL $80.00 AND $20 FOR LOST FOOD? MORE TO THIS BUT NOT ENOUGHT ROOM
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.
Why are the utilities being shut off?
What state do you live in?