socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

If I signed a lease to two years, but the landlord tells

Customer Question

If I signed a lease for up to two years, but the landlord tells me before the first year is up that he is selling the unit and I must leave after only one year, do I have any rights. I have been paying the rent regularly.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Hello,If you have a fixed-term lease, then the landlord cannot terminate your lease without paying you damages for the difference in value between the lease period denied to you, and the cost of a substitute lease. Also, you would be entitled to your relocation costs. And, if this is a commercial lease, then you would be entitled to lost profits, if you are locked out of the space, before you can find and relocate to a new space. I don't know what the landlord is thinking, but you definitely have rights. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!