Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

The house in the City of Chesapeake, Virginia, did not pass

Customer Question
the rental inspection due to...
The house in the City of Chesapeake, Virginia, did not pass the rental inspection due to the electrical issues. The tenants were removed from the house the same day. Are we required to pay for the hotel until the tenants find another place to rent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/1/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer here will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messengers. Since the tenants were removed for a reason that was not related to their violation under the lease, but due to your obligation in maintaining the premises, you remain responsible for ensuring that they have a comparable unit until the electrical issues are resolved OR they move to a new unit (and you release them from the lease agreement). Until then you can collect rents so long as you provide equivalent housing, or if you are providing them with a hotel and motel, you are doing so at your expense. I am sorry! Sincerely, ***** *****
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney