Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Does a Tenant have the right to get their security deposit…

Customer Question
Does a Tenant have the...
Does a Tenant have the right to get their security deposit without a 30 day notice (which is stated in the lease) because the found a snake in the home in the state of South Carolina. This Tenant have lived their since January.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/30/2015
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 3 years ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Is the tenant breaking a fixed term lease and moving out early?
.
Or are they a month to month tenant and are moving out without a 30 day notice?
.
.
thanks
They are a month to month tenant and moving out without a 30 day notice
Ok, then under SC law, they are in violation of the tenancy agreement if they are not providing a 30 day notice prior to moving out. (S.C. Code Ann. § 27-40-770)
.
So the landlord could hold them liable for an additional 30 days rent under a breach of contract claim and could apply the security deposit towards any rent due as long as they sent the tenant a written itemized list of any damages or delinquent rent within 30 days after the tenant moves out and surrenders possession. If the tenant doesn't provide a forwarding address, then the landlord can send the notice to the rental address addressed to the tenant.
.
So to answer your question directly, no, the landlord doesn't have to refund any security deposit money if the tenant has breached the lease by not providing notice as long as he sends the itemized letter within 30 days of the tenant giving the keys back.
.
.
thanks