TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

can you offer a gift card to get your house rented quicker

can you offer a gift card to get your house rented quicker?
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Just so I understand you, are you suggesting that you, as a landlord, will offer a tenant a gift card (e.g., Outback Steakhouse gift car, Walmart gift card, etc.) for signing a lease?

If that is your question, then the answer is yes. There is no law that would restrict you from doing that. You're free to give tenants gift cards whenever you'd like.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To TJ, Esq." in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought I read somewhere in laws of Alabama you cant bribe a tenant to rent your property. I thought this would be coerced in to the house?

Hello again.

First and foremost, the offer of a gift card would neither be a bribe nor coercion. It is simply an incentive. I've never seen anything to indicate that what you suggest would be illegal. Where did you read that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really thought Ive read this before. Because the tenant has to sign a binding lease... it would be like signing something under false acceptance or wants.

Hmmm, I don't see the issue. Sometimes landlords offer incentives. Usually, it's something like reduced rent for the first month, but I see no reason that a gift card can't be offered. I couldn't find any Texas law that would prohibit it. I don't know how the tenant could argue that anything false occurred.