How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Lawyer with experience representing tenants and landlords.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am owner of a house in CT. Have roommate: verbal agreement

This answer was rated:

I am owner of a house in CT. Have roommate: verbal agreement was free rent in exchange for pet care specifically not to leave dogs for more than 10 hours, feed birds etc. neighbor tells me he is gone more than 10 hrs most days. I want to evict him. I have personally been home when he has been gone more than 10 hours: I work out of state 3-4 days per week and he does not know my schedule. His legal residence is in New York State. Do I have to go through eviction process ie court if I give him 30 days written notice and he does not move? Also has a dog which I agreed to but have learned that is in violation of the mobile home parks residency terms. What is my best course of action?

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, unfortunately, you would need to evict him through an unlawful detainer action if he refuses to move out after you give him 30 days written notice.

The mobile home could bring a separate cause of action against him based on the dog to have him removed, but I'm afraid that that doesn't otherwise effect your situation.

You should immediately serve him a notice that gives him 30 days to leave. If he fails to comply at that time, then you would proceed with an unlawful detainer cause of action. That would enable you to then call the sheriff or police and have him removed for trespassing.

This guide should help provide you with information about the eviction process in Connecticut:

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. (It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit). Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need proof of the 10 hr noncompliance? Please describe the unlawful detainer cause of action.
No, it wouldn't be necessary to prove the 10 hour noncompliance, unless the verbal agreement was set to expire on a certain date.

If not, it is enough to give a month's notice of the eviction.

The below link has the code sections regarding an unlawful detainer in Connecticut, including the complaint and procedure:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is about forcible entry and detainer????
That is the unlawful detainer process after serving of eviction doesn't go through.

(He would be unlawfully detaining your property:

enters into any land, tenement or dwelling unit and causes damage to the premises or damage to or removal of or DETENTION OF THE PERSONAL PROPERTY OF THE POSSESSION. (emphasis added).

This site should have all the information you need including Chapter 832 on Summary Process :

"when the party put out of possession would be required to cause damage to the premises or commit a breach of the peace in order to regain possession, the party thus ejected, held out of possession, or suffering damage may exhibit his complaint to any judge of the Superior Court."

47a-43 (a)(4)

You would be put out of possession by him staying in your house after you have revoked consent for him to be there due to his breach of your agreement.
Joseph and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you