LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

Currently rent property in Fl. Wife has been transferred. Agent

Currently rent property in Fl. Wife has been transferred. Agent representing rental making life difficult to move on. What would be the recourse to us as tenant to just pick up and leave? Deposit is gone either way. Can agent come after us if we abandon the property?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you just pick up and leave and fail to pay the rent for the remainder of the lease, you could be sued, since you would be in breach of the lease agreement. If you vacate and advise the landlord of this, the landlord would have a legal obligation to mitigate damages and try to find a new tenant to move in. At the same time, you could also find someone to sublease from you, for the remainder of the lease. Any time in which the rental property remains vacant, you would be responsible for. As far as using her carpet cleaning service and professional home cleaners, that obligation would depends on if it was 1) stated in the lease agreement and 2) the rental was not left in the same condition as when you took possession. In a situation like this, you may want to try and negotiate a settlement, which would allow the landlord to avoid suing and have to go through the legal process to recover.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.