How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 118297
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my lease states that "2 persons" may occupy my two bedroom

This answer was rated:

my lease states that "2 persons" may occupy my two bedroom apt. I have a minor child (age 11). and my father has recently moved in with me. He has been here for nine months with the landlord's knowledge. I was of the understanding that my minor daughter did not constitute an occupant. All of a sudden my landlord is attempting to raise the rent saying I have broken a term of my agreement. Is this legal?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you are in breach of lease in that it states only 2 people can occupy the premises, then the landlord has a right to hold you in breach and seek to negotiate a new lease with you or can seek to evict you if you do not cure the breach. Legally, you can claim that his knowledge and failure to take action when he knew about the breach was a waiver of the breach under the laws of equitable estoppel and waiver.

A child does count as an occupant in CA, though, so legally he could claim you are over the two occupants clause. You would have to fight him on this matter based on the fact he knew that your father was there for 9 months and took no action. Thus, this would not be something that is an illegal action that could be reported to the local housing agency, it would be something that you would have grounds to fight him over if he tries to evict you before the end of your lease term based on his knowledge that your father was there and failure to take action in a timely manner under the equitable theory of laches and waiver, and as such you would argue he should be estopped from raising the rent until the new contract comes due.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you