How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 116714
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what rights do I have if I am renting a single family home

This answer was rated:

what rights do I have if I am renting a single family home ?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

As a tenant your rights are under the landlord tenant act. If the windows are broken and need repair, the landlord has a duty to repair or replace them unless your lease specifies it is the tenant's responsibility. If the windows need to be replaced because they are broken and he has not done so in a reasonable time (2 years is not reasonable) he is in breach of lease and CA law allows you to withhold rent or to make the repairs and deduct the cost from rent as long as you give him written advance notice you are doing so and a reasonable opportunity to cure.

His conduct sounds like he is breaching the lease with you for not making necessary repairs in a reasonable time. You need to give him written notice of all of his breaches. As far as raising the rent, if you have no written lease, he has the right to raise the rent as he chooses, but you need to give him your notice of breach against him in writing and consider even getting out of there and away from the landlord who refuses to properly maintain his property.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand all of that -I am wondering if I can have someone of authority to come an inspect the house - I am on a month to month - so I am sending him a registered letter of my requests - I am not moving just yet - as the rent is still reasonable, and I can pay it - I just want things fixed - I can assure you it will get fixed if I can get an inspector come in !

is there somewhere I can look up single dwelling rights? I must have some - ( as far as month to month ) Am I more protected with a lease ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

P.S. I am in Los Angeles , California

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you can call your local building inspector/ housing department as well and they can come out and will cite the owner.

There is no difference in your rights renting a house as there is an apartment. All of this falls under the CA Landlord Tenant Act. See Also: HUD CA Tenant's Rights.

Yes, you have more rights with a lease. A lease guarantees that rent will not increase during the time of the lease. The lease also specifies the duties of the landlord and those of the tenant. A month to month tenant's rights are limited to those under the law. Since you have been there more than 12 months, you have to be given 60 days notice, but the landlord can terminate the lease and make you leave by giving you that notice for no reason, whereas with a lease they have to leave you there until the end of the lease term unless you breach or violate the lease.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you !

this is the response I am writing to him

however , there is one more thing I would like to address , In my month to month it states I rent a one bedroom house - he has verbally excluded areas that are filled with his "stuff" which is old wood , planters chairs etc.

and in the basement has stored furniture but won't let me store anything there ???- I realize it sounds like I should move , but I am saving my money to buy a house !

although sometimes it can be unbearable !

here is my response :

This letter is in response to your letter dated July 19th, received July 23rd , 2013

In response to the rent increase, I am fine with the rent increase , but would like the following things fixed as it has been One year and 11 months and many visits for estimates .I was promised that the windows would be replaced. also the screens are nailed to the frames which makes it difficult to clean them .

Pathways will remain clear, except for the occasional supplies that might be there over night -

The fire department or any other department would have no problem accessing the property in case of a fire or emergency.

As for the repairs & painting - Per he County of Los Angeles Housing Authority, a 24 hour advance written notice is required before entering.The notice should state specific time of entry which must be duriing normal business hours .

I would also need to know so I can move curtains & and make arrangements to leave windows open and / or any percautions I will need to make because of fumes that might effect my dogs. Also lead free paint is require by law.

As you are raising the rent, I will require that you uphold the original rental agreement of providing a gardener for the property, as it has been nearly a year since this service has not been provided. The gardening upkeep has been done by me the tennat .Per your permission and your handy man, I have added a patio . you also provided the bricks for this.

Sincerely yours,


Do You think I need to add or delete anything ?

Thank soo Much !



Thank you for your response.

Your letter is fine and actually is non-threatening and friendly, but if he refuses to respond, you have to be prepared to move to the next step and report him or withhold rent or prepare to move and take him to court.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You Again !

Sincerely ,

Liz Rizo


Thank you very much.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions