How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 116815
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I leased a house in Spring Hill, Kansas and in April my washing

This answer was rated:

I leased a house in Spring Hill, Kansas and in April my washing machine drum broke while doing a load of laundry and flooded out the house from the top floor to the basement. I had left and gone to work. I am now being sued by State Farm Fire and Casualty Company to recover damages sustained to the property in the amount of $67,363.31. I did not have rental insurance.
My signed lease states in the paragraph titled: Property Insurance states - Landlord and Tenant shall each be responsible to maintain appropriate insurance for their respective interests in the premises and property located on the premises.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

What is the question we can answer for you about this matter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are my rights and am I responsible for the damage?

Thank you for your response.

When a tenant rents a premises, they are liable to the landlord for all damages they cause. If the washer was your property and not the landlord's property and the washer failed, then you would be legally liable for the damage it caused. Further, if your lease called for you to be liable to maintain insurance, you would be in breach of that lease for not maintaining such coverage.

Your only chance here is to negotiate the damages with the insurance company if you cannot prove that something other than your property caused the damage to the property of the landlord.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you