barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 17 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I am the master tenant renting a house located on federal land.

I am the master tenant renting a house located on federal land. My landlord is the US Park Service, in the state of California. I in turn have 5 subtenants, all of which have a sublease agreement with me directly. One of my subtenants had a girlfriend/guest staying more than 25 days out of the month for more than 10 months without my permission, he managed to hide it for some time. Also this was in violation of my master lease which prohibits non-tenants or visitors from staying 25 days or more per month. I then gave him 30 days notice on January 10, 2013. He vacated early from the 30 day notice period, but did not return the house keys, requiring the house to be re-keyed at a cost. He did not pay the rent for the 9 days remaining in his notice period. He also did not pay me for utilities for the time he was here. His girlfriend/guest also broke the house washing machine and he did not pay for the repairs. Can I sue him or his girlfriend/guest (or both) for the unpaid rent, utilities and other costs?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
He vacated early from the 30 day notice period, but did not return the house keys, requiring the house to be re-keyed at a cost. He did not pay the rent for the 9 days remaining in his notice period. He also did not pay me for utilities for the time he was here. His girlfriend/guest also broke the house washing machine and he did not pay for the repairs. Can I sue him or his girlfriend/guest (or both) for the unpaid rent, utilities and other costs?
.
Yes, you would be able to sue the tenant for any damages that he has caused to the property and for any delinquent rent and utilities that he owes you. You wouldn't have any grounds to sue the girlfriend because she is not in any type of contractual relationship with you.
.
Although you lost the right to retain any portion of the security deposit by not sending the itemized list of damages within 21 days, the law in CA does not say that you are not able to pursue them civilly for your damages otherwise under a breach of contract claim.
.
.
Thanks