How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to get a copy of receipts from the landlord

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to get a copy of receipts from the landlord from the deductions they made from our deposit? We have questions and concerns and I have asked they send us proof of the work that was done and how much it costed and I have yet to receive any word from them...
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me:

1) What county is this is?
2) Did they send you a deposit amount at all, or at least an explanation of what was deducted, or not?
3) How long has it been - in days - since you have left the property?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bexar county in SA.
They sent us $242 out of an original amount of $1500 with an itemized list of deductions that I disputed then they agreed to refund us another $91 afterwards.
We moved out on July 30th of this year.
If they won't refund us anymore money them I want to see copies of receipts for work and parts bought.

Thank you.

If they won't refund us anymore money them I want to see copies of receipts for work and parts bought.

Under Tex. Prop. Code. Sec. 92.104(c), the landlord only has to give you " written description and itemized list of all deductions." They do not have to give you receipts.

If you feel that they have lied or otherwise exaggerated the damage/work, or the deductions have been unreasonable, the onus is on you to file in Justice of the Peace Small Claims Court - here. See more about how the JP Court works here (although from Harris County, the same doctrines apply).

If the Judge finds his claims to be questionable, they may demand receipts, and/or still find the deductions too much and order more money back, along with damages, if the Court sees fit, and legal fees for filing.

Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 4 other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you