Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP
Yes we have moved out of that house as our lease ended on July 31st. I have not given the $3000.00 to the landlord. The restoration has not been started yet and when I asked the landlord questions about activating this process he simply indicated that he wanted me to give him the money instead. The floor has not yet been restored.
The company provided the claim settlement willingly. There was no court order. I did sign a release to the company that I would assume all responsibilty for any future liens in regard to this incident . I believe that I released the company from liability for any future lawsuits from this landlord. I am concerned that if the floor is not actually repaired that the landlord may at some point seek further damages from my wife and I. We stopped renting this house because of extremely unfriendly behavior on the part of the landlord.
It sounds as if you feel it is important to conduct business regarding this incident by certified letter to establish a paper trail for my protection, correct? The landlord has proposed that I simply sign over the check to him when I receive it which I feel may not be wise. The amount of money is the exact amount from a quote for reparation of the floor from a local installation company recommended to me by the landlord.
Should I await return of a certified letter from the landlord indicating his formal request of funds for floor reparation before I transfer the funds to him?
It seems as if you may be recommending that I proceed with signing over the check to the landlord, is this correct? I thought that the best procedure would be to deposit into my own bank account then write him a personal check. Does it make any difference?