How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe property as tenants in common with another person. In

This answer was rated:

I owe property as tenants in common with another person. In Dec 2011, I filed for partition of the property, but the person was not physically served! The server was unable to find the person to have the person served! My attorney sent mail to the last known address for the person ... there is nobody living at that address, however the mail was not returned. The partition timed out. Can I ask the court to intervene? Is so what can the court due to help me if any thing?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you have exhausted all reasonable means to locate the person, then you can motion the court for alternative service by publication. This is where you send notice by mail to their last known address or place of employment and then you also have to publish the notice in the paper of major circulation in the area they are believed to reside before the suit can proceed. This is the action your attorney should have attempted when they were told the process server could not locate the party. See: NY CVP Law Section 316.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I questioned my attorney... As the server was not successful, however, my attorney recently submitted to the court an application for intervention! Will the court schedule an intervention? Should the court dismiss the application for intervention? What if the other person does not know that an application for intervention has been filed? ... the other person will not be at the scheduled intervention.


Thank you for your follow up.

The notice for judicial intervention was filed to likely ask the court for the permission for service by publication, so you need to ask your attorney the reason for the intervention. The notice for judicial intervention is a motion to the court asking them to take action, so that is what he is asking the court.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions