How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LandlordTenantAnswer Your Own Question
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 28371
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LandlordTenantAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

when your slum landlord isnt fixing broken air conditioner

This answer was rated:

when your slum landlord isn't fixing broken air conditioner how do go about setting up an esgrow account until it is fixed
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Rent escrow means paying your rent to the clerk of courts rather than to your landlord. You would need to speak with the clerk of courts this morning, in the county where the property is located, to set this up.

In order to escrow rent because of a landlord's failure to make repairs, a tenant must:

Pay rent up to date.

Give a written notice to the landlord listing the repairs needed and send the notice to the place where rent is normally paid.

If the landlord does not make the repairs within 30 days, or a reasonable time in the case of an emergency, whichever is shorter, the tenant can:

Escrow rent by depositing it with the clerk of the appropriate municipal or county court, and;

Ask the court to direct that the repairs be made, to reduce the rent, and to release some of the money for making repairs, or;

End the agreement and move out.

Rent escrow remedies do not apply to landlords who own fewer than four rental units and have delivered written notice of this fact to tenants upon moving in. If the landlord fails to provide the tenant with a written statement of the names and addresses of the owner and agents when the tenant moved in, the landlord waives notice under (2) above.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LandlordTenantAnswer and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you