How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental property in California. Son moved in lived

This answer was rated:

I have a rental property in California. Son moved in lived there long time, his son and wife (my grandson) moved in and my son now stays somewhere else, but his belongings are still in the rental and it's consideed his home. Grandson has accumulated more cats than County allows and County has served them notice to get rid of excess cats or taken to court and fined as well as me for being owner of property. Will my son who I have the rental agreement with also be liable for this and have to go to court if the cats are not gotten rid of?

Your son would not be responsible to the regulatory agencies / law enforcement in this instance.


These regulations are aimed to deter the owner of the real property (you) and the owner of the animals (your grandson), they do not usually deal with intermediaries (your son is acting as a tenant and sub lessor to the actual occupant).


This is different from the potential for civil liability - your son would be liable to you as the owner for the damages caused by the excess animals - but this is something that would be separate from the enforcement action.


CalAttorney2 and 2 other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you