Samuel-II
Samuel-II,
10707909

Does your daughter in law become your child? My son can live

Does your daughter in law become your child? My son can live in my house but according to the lease his wife cannot? Is this legal?
Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

A daughter-in-law is not a blood relative. And therefore, if the lease is limited to blood relatives then the lease governs the situation.

What does the lease say in this regard?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The lease states that children, grandparents or significant others to the leaseholder are allowed to live in the house. It does not mention blood relatives.

Hello

I see. Well, a daughter-in-law is not a child in the legal sense of the term, unfortunately.

Though it seems to me they may be nit picking if they are telling you she has to leave and yes, I suggest, it is a good battle to bring to the Board of Directors and an argument that she is taking the place of "grandchildren" right now, if you do not have any grandchildren living with you at this time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am to understand that if my daughter came to live with me her husband could not?

Hello

According to your lease, that would be correct.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The fact that blood relationship is not mentioned, does that help us out?

Hello

I believe yes. As I said, I would suggest a compromise the daughter-in-law instead of grandchildren. There should be room for a trade off

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Grandchild lives there. With all the laws about marriages today, I thought there might be a law that you can't prevent husband & wife from living together. You can't discriminate by race, age or etc. I would think this illegal.

Hello

Well, that is an entirely different matter now that you are discussing.

It is not discrimination what you have in your lease.

You signed a lease that only allows certain family members and they are not saying the daughter in law cannot live there because she it too old/young, a religion, race or gender that would fall under discrimination laws.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sam thank you for trying to help me. Your last email might have helped me. The bylaws were revised so I will follow up to see when they changed and what date the lease was signed. Thank you

Hello

You are welcome

And if your daughter-in-law is a minority in race or religion then use that to gain some leverage.