How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 118788
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what if we were to go the board of health about the inhumane

This answer was rated:

what if we were to go the board of health about the inhumane situations in my apartment complex they're saying that the air condition is not a priority on the list of maintenance issues going on in the complex and from what I hear and see nothing is priority which there are only 90 units rented and maybe ten or less have air conditioning I don't even have screens on my windows to get ventilation or without flies and other bugs coming in my family cant even sleep at night because its so hot with the fans I also ask the property manager if I were to buy a window air condition she said she would be deducted from the next months rent but I don't really trust that I need to get it in writing I really would like to do a petition and speak for all the people that are suffering just like me
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If your premises are unsafe or unhealthy, you can file a complaint with the Board of Health and also the local building inspector and they can come out a issue citations for any violations. However, under Indiana law, if she is stating she would deduct your purchase of a unit from rent, GET IT IN WRITING, since this is not normally something that the landlord is liable to supply if you have central air conditioning. If the apartment had a window unit when you rented it and that unit is broken, then by Indiana law, you can buy the unit and you can deduct it from rent without her approval since you put her on notice and if she tries to evict you for not paying the full rent you would have grounds to countersue her for breaching the lease and not properly maintaining the unit in the property.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you