How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 7415
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father owns a rental home in Alabama. The tenant are 3 months

This answer was rated:

My father owns a rental home in Alabama. The tenant are 3 months behind in rent as of June 10. The agreement in March was that we would buy room A/C once we received the April rent. When I asked about the rent April 22, they said that they mailed cash on April 5. We never received anything in the mail. Now they want cash to fix other problems and will not pay rent. They have a verbal month to month lease. I have requested that they move within 30 days in writing. What steps do I go through to evict. The property is in Alabama and we live in Tennessee
Hello: I am afraid that you face a very difficult situation. You will have to file an eviction suit in AL in the small claims court and you (technically, your father as the owner) will have to personally attend court. The way this is normally avoided is by placing the property into the hands of a professional property manager by contract. They can represent their clients in court, in most small claims court jurisdictions. As I said, you are in a difficult situation and there are no cheap, easy or quick answers from the legal side of things.
I hope this Answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating. If you have any follow up questions please send back a Reply. You should consult a local attorney to verify that this information is accurate for your state. Thank you for using Just Answer. We appreciate your business.
Irwin Law and 5 other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you