Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment, for 1100 a month, in a

large apartment complex. I came...
I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment, for 1100 a month, in a large apartment complex. I came home to a note on my door telling me that I have only ten days to decide if I am going to sign another one year lease at 1200 a month, pay month to month at 2300 a month or move. Is this legal? Just ten days? The guy above me got the same note but his month to month is going from 1200 a month to 3000 a month - and again ten days to deside or get out.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/7/2013
insearchoftheanswer
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Does your lease agreement itself have any provision regarding notice of renewal or non-renewal? When does your current lease end? Thanks.

My lease just ended

Thank you for following up. The landlord cannot legally enforce this. Once your lease terminated, your tenancy became a month to month tenancy. As such, under RCW 59.18.200, your tenant can only be terminated by written notice of twenty days or more, preceding the end of any of the months or periods of tenancy, given by either party to the other. A notice of an increase is simply a termination of the existing tenancy and offer of another tenancy. Thus, the notice from the landlord is not effective until the end of June. You have the right to accept the landlord's new offer which can only begin July 1 or to reject the landlord's new offer and moving out on or before July 1. The landlord cannot cause any change prior to July 1. Even then, if you don't leave, the landlord cannot force you out without following the formal eviction process and getting an eviction order from the court. he cannot take any self-help actions such as locking you out or cutting off your utilities.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

insearchoftheanswer
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/

Thank you also for the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness!
insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer