How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask philip.simmons Your Own Question
philip.simmons, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 34554
Experience:  10 years experience in the law
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
philip.simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Arizona. Im renting a 2 story home, my A/c bills

This answer was rated:

I live in Arizona. I'm renting a 2 story home, my A/c bills go up to over $700.00 per month during the summer months. I pay anywhere from $ 175-300 normally. They say A/C is not the problem. I do have a lot of windows. Is there any way I can deduct the additional expense from my rent? Or force them to add sun block window coverings?

thank you
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an Arizona attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

There is no law or regulation that will require the owner to give you a credit on your rent for electricity used to power AC.

That said, if there is a problem with the homes AC? If there is some problem with the AC unit, so that it is not operating as designed and therefore using more energy than it should? In such a case you can demand that the owner repair the unit...and if they refuse you can sue them for money you have to spend in order to pay the additional cost (based on its not working as designed)

Under the law, if you rent a home, you are entitled to have utilities (heat/AC) that work as designed. If the landlord is providing you a home with a faulty AC, that would be a basis to demand they fix it and let them know you will sue if they do not.

But you have the burden of proof...I know that 2 story homes, in the Summer in many parts of Arizona, are notoriously difficult to keep cool (specifically the 2nd floor). So if this is a home design flaw (too many windows, not properly designed floor plans to reduce energy costs), that is not something you can demand they fix. But if the AC unit is not operating properly, you can demand that it be fixed

You may want to have a local technician to determine if it is defective (leading to inefficient operation). IF so? You can demand it be repaired or replaced. IF it is not defective, then you will not have recourse with the landlord

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can

philip.simmons and 5 other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions