How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im own rental property and a tenant is suing me. The rental

This answer was rated:

I'm own rental property and a tenant is suing me. The rental property is in an LLC, however, they sued me personally. I wrote to someone yesterday and he said that I should file a motion to dismiss and not filing a small claims answer. My follow-up question is this- by law,I am supposed to send a copy of the small claims answer to the plaintiff, but since I'm not filing a small claims answer,do I need to send the plaintiff a copy of the motion to dismiss. Thanks
Thank you for your question. Please allow me respond to your follow-up.

The answer is most assuredly 'yes', you do have to inform the plaintiff of the motion to dismiss. They have the right and the ability to contest your motion and attempt to keep you in the suit as a defendant. While a judge decides the motion, all parties get a chance to make arguments for or against it first.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 2 other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you