Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

i am renting an apartment, my friends are relocating and i

let them stay in the...
i am renting an apartment, my friends are relocating and i let them stay in the apartment without adding them to the lease, the leasing office found out , then i asked to transfer to a smaller apartment and my friends rent another apartment for themselves, but the management denied, so i gave notice to vacate but when i signed the notice to vacate i did not put any reason, then when i asked for a copy, i found out the manger put terms like management found lease violations, what do they intend to do ? will i get bad public record for this ?
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2013
Tina, Attorney

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Did you terminate the lease early or provide notice to vacate in accordance with the lease agreement?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

i am on a month to month lease, so only 30 days notice is enough, but due to an incident happened last week, i worried about what the leasing office intend to do. Last thursday, my friend forgot to turn of the stove before went out and that triggered a lot of smoke, but there was no fire, the notice i found on the door from the maintainance guy was saying smoking pot on stove, but there was no fire, but the leaseing office kept on saying because of the fire, the management company denied for my transfer because i am liable for that but they can allow me to stay in the same apartment and put my friends on the lease or i vacate, i am afraid are they going to plan for any claim against me as i acomodated my friends which is a least violation ? And i asked do i need to put my friends on the least before i vacate, the manager said no if i vacate. Then i found out she added those terms saying that they found several least violations

Hello again, David, and thank you for the additional information.

This information would typically be included only on the leasing office's internal records since there does not appear to be any grounds to take legal action against you, so it should not affect your credit rating or other record.

Because you are concerned that the owner/manager may attempt to charge you for items which you should not be liable for following move-out, it is important that you document the condition of the apartment very well, including attending the move-out inspection with management and taking photographs of the condition of the apartment at move-out. That way you will have evidence to refute any allegations they may make against you in an attempt to charge you for items you should not be liable to pay.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

and the manager said no need to put my friends on the lease before i vacate , so they will not do any claim against me that i have unauthorized persons living in the apartment? i wanted to do that but the leasing office di not want to add them, they said if i vacate, i do not need to do so

Hello again, David. Because you are moving out, they would have no basis to pursue legal action against you for not adding them to the lease, especially when you have offered to add them.

Having them live with you may have violated the terms of the lease agreement, but since you are moving out, there are no grounds to pursue legal action against you for that.
Tina, Attorney

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by going to your “My Questions” page and clicking on “Request Tina again” next to my photo. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tina, Attorney