How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 34497
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a person who has moved out of state be sued in small claims

This answer was rated:

Can a person who has moved out of state be sued in small claims case for damages caused while renting a house in CA or who claims he had legal residence in ILL while living in CA for 1 yr?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am LawGuy and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

The problem is that the court has no jurisdiction over someone in another state. If you can get service on them while they are in California then they are subject to jurisdiction or if the lease provides that they submit themselves to the jurisdiction of the court in California then it is possible.

Otherwise, you would need to sue them where they currently reside.
Loren and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you