Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

Can a person who has moved out of state be sued in small claims

Can a person who has moved out of state be sued in small claims case for damages caused while renting a house in CA or who claims he had legal residence in ILL while living in CA for 1 yr?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am LawGuy and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

The problem is that the court has no jurisdiction over someone in another state. If you can get service on them while they are in California then they are subject to jurisdiction or if the lease provides that they submit themselves to the jurisdiction of the court in California then it is possible.

Otherwise, you would need to sue them where they currently reside.