Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

To whom it may concern, I had a verbal agreement with a

To whom it may concern, I...
To whom it may concern,

I had a verbal agreement with a contracted painter to patch walls and paint my house interior for 8,950 dollars. He gave a verbal, rough estimated time of completion of 5.5 weeks. Tomorrow marks 5 weeks and they have completed one of eight rooms. In the meantime, they failed to cover some of our furniture, resulting in scratched, painted and otherwise ruined furniture and have eaten food out of my refrigerator without consulting with me. I have paid them 3,000 thus far and am just ready for them to get out so I can hire someone to come in and do the job correctly, and in a timely manner. My question is, would there be any legal repercussions if I pay them an additional 1,000 dollars and ask them to leave? I am located in Virginia. Thank you for your time and assistance.
10/3/2012
insearchoftheanswer

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You are not the one that needs to worry about legal repercussions, the painter is the vulnerable party here. Your painter is default....one because he has not diligently pursued the completion of the project and two because he has been negligent and caused damage to your personal property. You should find another painter to give you an estimate as to the cost to finish the project. Then, terminate your painter and if the cost of completing the project plus the damage caused is in excess of $5,950 (which is the difference between what you agreed to pay and what you have paid to date), you can sue the painter for the excess because those are your damages due to the painter's default. You should pay him nothing more!

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems
more
general than
specific,
please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

insearchoftheanswer

Thanks so much for the bonus! I appreciate your generosity and the
opportunity to serve you! If I can be of
assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer