Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I was, till today resident manager of a transistional housing

I was, till today resident manager of a transistional housing apt in Ohio. My 42 year old son has been staying with me because he is homeless. Today the Director and a case manager came to my apt. and jimmied the door which was locked from my office to my apt. They told me I cannot let my son live their, so I quit. I receive the apt. for what I do. They ent thru all my drawers and everything! Are they allowed to do this and what can I do? They gave me 2 weeks and said my son cannot stay here or I will be evicted immediately. Help
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, but unless you had permission or in your employment contract that he could live there, I am afraid you cannot have any tenant in the apartment. Thus, they can insist that he leave and if he does not they legally have the right to get the sheriff to have him removed for trespassing at the facility and have you evicted. I know this sounds harsh, but unlike a regular apartment building, these transitional facilities have strict guidelines and rules regarding having non-tenants residing on the premises.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”