Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a tenant under a tenancy agreement on an AST basis and…

I am a tenant under...
I am a tenant under a tenancy agreement on an AST basis and am in the a term of 12 months that expires 22 May 2012. My landlord has just given my notice and stated 'under the terms of the AST such notice to expire on the 23rd April 2012. I have checked my agreement and it states 'The Tenancy may be terminated at any time after six months by either party by serving one clear month written notice upon the other such notice to expire on a rent day'. Is this clause consistent with the AST which I thought meant a landlord must give two month's notice? What notice period applies in my situation?
3/15/2012
jomo1972
jomo1972, barrister
Is the notice headed S21?
No. It just says Notice to Quit.

Does the fact that there is a clause in the tenancy agreement override the provisions of AST law or is this an unjust clause?
Has he ever served a S21 notice on you?
No.
If he wants to end an AST then he needs to serve a S21 notice upon you so you could challenge that for a start.

However, if your 12 month ASt expires on the 22nd May 2012 then you must be passed the 6 month point. The contract is clear that you can both terminate by giving one clear months' notice.

In short, he has to give you one months' notice on or before the rent date in accordance with the contract as long as you are passed the 6th month point. That is not inconsistent with an AST of itself.

However, to evict you he needs to serve a proper S21 notice.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to advise you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please press ACCEPT and then I will answer your follow up questions for free. Your question will not close but I will thereafter provide related information at no extra cost.
jomo1972
jomo1972, barrister
Thanks. So basically as I signed a contract that allows the party to give one month's notice I have to confirm to that and can't claim that the agreement's clause is unfair? It seems like I have no option but to move at the end of the month - even though technically I could challenge his notice but he would just reissue it mentioning Section 21. Whenever I have seen notices using HA 1988 Section 21 it has always mentioned two month's notice which is why I am confused.
S21 does normally involve two months but you seem to have agreed to one months' notice.

You could try to argue that its unfair under UCTA but no guarantees could be offered as to your success.

If he hasn't served a S21 anyway though then you will have more than two months notice.
Sorry I'm confused by your last statement. Could you explain?
Not sur what you meant?
What do you mean by "If he hasn't served a S21 anyway though then you will have more than two months notice." How does this apply in my current situation?
He needs to serve a S21 notice before the notice period begins.

Of course, this might comply with the requirements. It doesn't need to say S21. But if it doesn't comply then he will have to serve fresh notice.
So is his letter not a S21 notice? What has his letter done?

The wording of the letter is:

Re: Notice to Quit

On behalf of <landlord>, we serve you notice to vacate the above flat. Under the terms of the AST such notice to expire on the 23rd April 2012.

Is this a S21 notice or not? Or has this just activated the break clause and he then needs to send a S21 notice before the notice period starts?
No, thats not a S21 notice.

He needs to serve a S21 notice upon you giving you notice in accordance with the contract to activate the break clause.
Great thanks for letting me know. So do I then point this out to him or do nothing?

You could point it out to him. If his notice is invalid then he needs to serve fresh notice.

You are free to do nothing though really.
And if I do nothing I assume the landlord will think that they have served the correct notice. He is fairly intimidating and prone to 'bullying'. With a family with a small child, I'd prefer to stay longer in order to get a decent chance of finding a suitable house. If I do nothing, what are the likely next steps?
He will have to apply to the court for a possession order and may find out then that his notice is invalid.

Even if he does not as long as you go when the court orders possession there will be no action he can take.

But if there are arrears then the council may not house you. If you are a private tenant thats no issue.