Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

A niehbor tells my landlord that I threatened to kill them…

Customer Question
A niehbor tells my landlord...
A niehbor tells my landlord that I threatened to kill them over a disagreement about a dog. What can I do to legally protect myself against such slander?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/12/2012
Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Attorney replied 6 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I've spent the last several minutes reviewing and researching your question. As you review this answer, please keep in mind that I only get credit for answering your question if you click Accept, so I'd be grateful if you'd do so. You'll still be able to ask follow-up questions using the Reply feature.

I'm very, very sorry to hear about the situation! Such accusations can be quite terrifying.

The first and most important thing to remember is that you've actually been accused of a crime. If the neighbor or the landlord reports the matter to law enforcement, you could potentially be arrested and charged with a crime as a result. Therefore, you will want to be very cautious with anything you say and, if you discuss the matter with anyone, you want to involve your attorney as thoroughly as possible. Your attorney will help you to make sure that you don't make any damaging statements that might be used against you if you are charged. Unfortunately, people often make statements in good faith and those statements often come back at them later. Therefore, your attorney's assistance is very important, as it's possible to damage your own case.

As for defamation, a successful defamation plaintiff must show that:
1. The defendant made a statement of fact to a third party regarding the plaintiff;
2. The statement was not true;
3. The statement harmed the plaintiff.
If all three of those elements are met, you could potentially sue the neighbor for defamation. Further, even if you haven't yet sustained harm, you may wish to have your attorney draft a letter demanding that the party retract the statements so as to prevent damage from resulting. This can be helpful in showing an individual that a victim of defamation is serious about protecting and enforcing his rights, and that can deter future defamation and mitigate any damages that have already resulted.

Further, if the other person reports the matter to police and if it's untrue, the individual could potentially be charged with the crime of false reporting. However, police would need evidence that the statement is untrue before such a charge would be considered.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I don't get any credit for my time and effort spent answering your question unless you click Accept.

Please use Reply to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!