Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

A few months ago I had a room mate who stole money from money…

Customer Question
A few months ago I...
A few months ago I had a room mate who stole money from money wrecked my apartment and owed me 3 months rent I took her off the lease and it's taken me 4 months to find a new room mate .. I called the police because of the damage and nothing was ever done so I want to take her to civil court for the money that she owes and damages I had to pay and replace and compensation for the short notice lease break .. Should I have someone represent me and will I ever actually get the money
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/12/2012
Lawyer: jbwarren1969, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
jbwarren1969
jbwarren1969, Lawyer

j.warren :

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer. If the amount of damages you are seeking is less than $5,000 small claims court would be an appropriate court to bring a claim against your ex-roommate. You do not need a lawyer to represent you in small claims. If a plaintiff can establish proof of damages and establish the defendant stole from them the plaintiff is entitled to damages and amount of money lost. It will depend on how good the evidence is that you can present to the judge. If you file a small claims complaint and the ex-roommate doesn't respond you may be able to get a default judgment against her as well. A default judgment means you win the case against your ex-roommate because she failed to respond to the summons to the small claims hearing. Once you have a judgment there are means in which you may collect the judgment such as garnishment of wages. If you would like an attorney to represent you, contact the Florida State Bar Lawyer Referral Services (800) 342-8011 in your area for a list of lawyers that bring this type of action in the County in which you live. Contact the County Clerk in the county you live in for information about bringing a small claim action.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the ACCEPT button.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

JACUSTOMER-xs52e8f4- : I have pictures that I personally took the pictures and written letter from my apartment complex stating they let her in the times she was in the tune they entered mt apartment and took pictures before I saw anything ... The total is over 5k it's more like 8...
j.warren :

That is beyond small claims limit at you should hire a lawyer represent you in superior court to seek damages against her.