Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I own a single family house in a neighborhood in Tucson, Arizona…

Customer Question
I own a single family...
I own a single family house in a neighborhood in Tucson, Arizona with an association that I pay dues to monthly. My CC&R states that I am responsible for my sewer which runs from the house to the street. After 4 years of having American Home Shield send out someone to snake out my pipe every 6-7 months, last Sunday, March 4, I was told it could not be cleaned out anymore. This week a contractor learned that the mesquite tree had roots going through the drain and actually separated it at one point so waste was soaking into the soil.The neighborhood association pays a landscaper to maintain all the front yards, we are on a neighborhod drip system to water the plants and trees, the association must O.K. all plants and trees to be planted out front, and trims plants and trees when they decide it's necessary. My question is: who is responsible to pay for the $2,000 bill to have a new pipe installed when it is my property and my sewer, but the tree was put in at some point that they O.K.'ed, they water it, trim it, and have said they will pay the $350.00 to have it removed, but the tree ruined my sewer system quite a long time ago.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/9/2012
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good morning. If the tree roots from a tree on common area damaged your sewer, then the HOA is responsible because their tree was the causation. If they do not pay you voluntarily, file a suit against the HOA. They will then bring in their insurance company and the insurance company will have pressure to pay this because if they are found not to have reasonably settled, they have liability for actual damages, plus punitive damages of up 3 times actual damages.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

It is not common area, it is my front yard-common area is the general landscaping around the neighborhood and the pool
If the tree is on your property, then you are going to be responsible, notwithstanding who is caring for the tree.
sorry, but they seemed to be admitting it was their responsibility at first, then the closer we get to a bill, they are backing out-I know you tried to help, but will meet with an attorney again who thinks they are responsible. Thank you anyway
No worries. I wish you the best.