Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I went to lease a car and feel like I was discriminated against…

Customer Question
I went to lease a...
I went to lease a car and feel like I was discriminated against and was told I could not lease the car then days later was told I could. What can I do for being made to feel embarrassed and treated unfairly?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/7/2012
Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Attorney replied 6 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Please clarify: where you discriminated against because of your age, disability, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race/color, religion, or gender?
Thanks...I have pasted a copy of the letter I sent to the company and it explains things. After I sent the letter, I then was told that the lease was approved.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing this letter because of my recent dealings with Mercedes.

My name is Bradley Cantrell Jr. and I live with my partner Gabriel Jacob Williams. I purchased a C 300 around 4/18/08 from Mercedes Benz of New Orleans. On Wednesday 2/15/12, Jacob and I went to lease a smart car due to the special they were offering. We thought it would be fun to have a little car to run around and also be easy to park in the city. Well when we went to do the lease, Jacob had filled out the information in his name. And to be truthful, we were going to be shocked if it was approved because even though he has a trust fund, a Jetta and money in the bank, he does not receive a paycheck and also had many late payments. Anyway, I said if they do not approve you, then I will just apply for the lease in my name. So, as we figured he was denied. My information was given and was approved. The salesman told me that my credit was great but we could not lease the car, due to the fact that they felt like I was trying to lease the car for Jacob. What I do not understand is that from the start it was no secret that we would both be using the car. Well we were then told that they could not link us together in any way and that we needed to be blood related. We were also told that they also questioned it, due to the fact of the age difference between the two of us. I am 37 and he is 22. We were informed that Jacob could come in with one of his parents to do the lease. Then lastly, that since my credit was very good, I could purchase the car if I wanted but not lease the car. Then I asked the salesman, that for some reason it seemed as if they did not believe me when I said I owned a Mercedes already. I was then told that, due to the fact that I did not finance my car, Mercedes Financial did not really have any record of my purchase. Finally we were told it was the fact that Louisiana did not recognize domestic partnerships. So I then asked for something on paper stating the exact reason as to why I could not lease the car. I was told that I could probably have something hand written. I was never provided with either one.

Well, that night Jacob and I went home very confused and lost as to really why we were told no. The next day I had some conversations with Chris Stubben (unsure of spelling). He was nice and seemed like he tried to deal with the situation, but never really seemed like he understood how humiliated and degraded I felt. Or that I am due for my schedule B maintenance and I feel very embarrassed to walk back through the door. I say this because he told me that he spent 15 minutes on the phone dealing with Mercedes Financial. WOW!!!! But honestly, he is not me and his personal relationship (if he has one) was not attacked as I felt was done to mine. To be fair though, he did manage to make it possible for us to lease the car if we wanted to. Which is great, because that is what should have been done from the start of this situation. I also called customer service and asked about this and was told that someone would call in 24 hours, but I did not get a call yet. Mercedes of New Orleans did have to close early due to the Mardi Gras season because of the parades, so possibly whoever may not have had enough time yet to make the necessary phone calls.

And these are the things that I do not understand or think is just crazy.

1. I paid cash for my Mercedes, wanted to lease a smart car, and we plan on purchasing two new Mercedes when Jacob receives his next increment of his trust fund which occurs in about two years.

2. What gives Mercedes Financial or anyone for that matter the right to say anything about our ages? My grandparents were 20 years apart. As far as I know, as long as someone is over 18 it is not a problem. Or is it that we are two men?

3. Jacob and I can be connected because Jacob’s tax papers for the last two years are filled at the same address as mine. We are on a checking account together and I am named beneficiary on Jacob’s checking account. Had Mercedes Financial bothered to just say, "hey can you possibly tell us how we can link the two of you together ?" We could have told them. But we weren’t asked. I guess why would they, because it seemed as if they did not care and had just assumed something else.

4. My partner will never be blood related to me!

5. Why would Mercedes treat a loyal customer in this fashion is beyond me, because I love my car and plan on purchasing two more in the near future.

I do not know what else to say except that I am very hurt and disappointed more than anything. We are now in 2012. Is this and was this necessary?

Bradley Cantrell Jr

Thank you. So, am I correct to understand that you were not discriminated against because of your age, disability, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race/color, religion, or gender?
The salesman came back after talking to the finance company and said that: things did not seem plausable due to the age difference between us.I am not sure if it was my age or the fact that I am in a relationship consisting of two men.
Thank you.

You can file a complaint with management re: the lack of professionalism.

However, not all forms of discrimination are against the law. The law does not prohibit all forms of discrimination -- only some.

The perceived discrimination you've described is not illegal. Thus, there is no legal action you can take against them. You can only complain to management. Nothing more.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.
It is not illegal for them to tell me at first, I am denied partly because of the fact that there is an age difference between my partner and myself?
Relist: Other.
never answered
Thank you for the follow-up and I'm sorry for the delay.

The type of discrimination that you've described is not a category that's prohibited by law.

I hope this helps to clarify things.
not really
No problem, I will try again.

It's important to understand that the law does not have a cure for every "wrong" we may experience in life.

The company did not violate the law. You cannot sue over that. They could have discriminated against you because they did not like your blue shoes and yellow socks. There's no law which prohibits that.

However, the company's actions were unprofessional. You can complain to management.